Study Visa

Student Visa / Study Permit

Students need to register and be accepted to study at a Canadian educational institution in order to apply for a Canada Student Visa (study permit). Furthermore to the Study Permit, students may require a Temporary Resident Visa and/or and eTA (electronic Travel Authorization), which depends on their country of citizenship or residence.

Who can apply for a Canadian Student Visa?

In this situation, where foreign students who have applied for and thus been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) could apply for a Canada Student Visa in order to come to Canada and finish the particular program for which they have been accepted. Before you submit your application for a Canada student visa, you must have obtained an acceptance letter from the designated institution which you plan to attend. Likewise, you have to meet the requirements listed bellow for a Canada student visa:

1. You must have been accepted by a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) in the country.

2. You must show evidence that you have sufficient money to pay for your:

  • living expenses (for both yourself and any family members who will come with you to Canada);
  • return transportation (for both yourself and any family members who will come with you to Canada); and,
  • tuition fees

3. You have to be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a danger to the security of Canada (in which you may have to give a police certificate).

4. You have to be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination (if it becomes necessary).

5. At the end of your authorized stay, you have to satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave the country.

You will not need a study permit to go to school in the country if:

  • You desire to study in a short-term course or program:
  • You do not require a study permit in case you plan to take a course or program in the country that lasts 6 months (or less). You must finish the course/program within the period authorized for your stay in the country.

  • You are a family member of a Foreign representatives to Canada:
  • In case you are a family member or staff member of a foreign representative to Canada accredited by GAC (Global Affairs Canada), you may not require a permit to study in the country. You must contact your embassy in the country, in which can contact the Office of Protocol at GAC to discover whether you require a study permit.

  • You are a family member of foreign armed forces:
  • In case you are a member of a foreign armed force (under the Visiting Forces Act), you do not require a permit to study in the country. In case your family members, including minor children, want to study in the country, they have to meet the requirements.

  • You are a foreign national who is a Registered Indian in the country:
  • In case you are a citizen of another country who has Registered Indian status in the country, you do not require a permit to study in the country.

Extend a Student Visa or Change Conditions

In case you want to increase your stay in the country as a student, to do so, you must finish an application. Check the expiry date on your study permit, and ensure you apply before that date. You must apply for renewal 30 days (at least) before your current permit expires.

In case you make up your mind to switch programs or school / institution, you must finish an application to switch the conditions of your study permit.

Restore Status as a student

Keep in mind that you could apply to restore your status as a student within 90 days of losing it. You may only apply in case you have carried on with meeting the requirements under which you were able to enter and stay in the country and you have every condition imposed on your permit.

Furthermore, after you apply to restore your status, you could stay in the country once a decision is made on your application but you are not able to study until your status has been restored.

However, there are no guarantees that your application (to restore your status) will be accepted. You must give in full detail, of all the facts and situations that caused you to lose your status on your application.

Health Care

Note that for foreign students, the government of Canada does not pay for their medical costs. Health insurance is considered a provincial jurisdiction and differs among provinces. We suggest that you contact the school to obtain additional information with regards to the health insurance packages they provide.

Work while you study

Interestingly, students registered in a full-time program could work on-campus or off-campus (without a work permit). Particular conditions apply, depending on where the work is situated, and the sort of program the student is registered in.

To learn more, please visit the Working while you study page.

Bringing Family to Canada

You could bring your common-law partner, dependent children, and spouse to Canada to be with you while you study. Your spouse or common-law partner will receive an Open Work Permit for the course of your studies. The OWP will permit your spouse or partner to work for any employer within the country.

Spouse/Common-law partner Open Work Permit

To add, spouses/Common-law Partners of International students studying in the country are eligible to apply for an Open Work Permit which permits them to work for any employer in the country in any job. The course of the work permit will be the same as the spouses study permit (visa).

To learn more, visit the Open Work Permit page.

Post-Graduation Work Permit

You may be eligible to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program once you have graduated from an eligible program at a Canadian post-secondary institution. This program gives graduates a 3 year open work permit that will permit you to gain valuable work experience. You do not require to have a job offer to get an OWP.

Please keep in mind that you must apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit in 90 days (no later) after getting a written confirmation of graduating (a transcript or an official letter) in order to be qualified. When you apply, you must ensure you still have status as a student, meaning that your study permit did not expire.

To learn more, please visit the Post-Graduation Work Permit page.

To add, Canada permits foreign students who have finished their studies in the country and have earned a certain amount of work experience within the country, to apply for immigration to Canada under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).