Temporary Work Visa

Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Generally, international students who finish a post-secondary education in the country are qualified to apply for a PGWP (Post Graduate Work Permit). This permit is an OWP allowing them to work in ANY job (without restrictions). An LMIA or a confirmation of job offer are not required to apply for a PGWP.

As they have finished their studies in an eligible program (or school), international graduates can apply for a PGWP, which permits them to work in the country. It is critical to choose the correct school to study, to make sure you are qualified for the PGWP. Click here to search for a PGWP Eligible School.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to be qualified for a PGWP, international students need to:

1. have studied for the 8 months (full-time) preceding the completion of their program (please see note below) and need to have graduated from one of the following:

  • a public post-secondary educational institution – CEGEP, university, or college
  • a private post-secondary educational institution that runs under identical regulations and rules as public institutions, as well as gets 50 per cent (at least) of its financing for operations from government grants
  • a Canadian private educational institution approved by provincial or territorial statute to confer degrees

2. have finished and passed the program of study and gotten a written notification that they are qualified to obtain their diploma, certificate, or degree.

3. apply for a work permit while possessing a valid study permit, or held a valid study permit previously within 180 days of applying for the Post Graduation Work Permit. Note that you must have valid status, or need to restore your status and apply for PGWP.

Keep in mind: In case your post graduate work permit was refused, you have to restore your status (within 90 days of receiving the refusal). Additionally, you must stop working. In case you are outside of the 90 day restoration period, Visa Time Immigration may still be able to assist you in certain situations using case law from Federal Court. Get in touch with our office to discuss further and learn how we can help in cases like this.

Potential applicants should keep in mind:

1. For the graduate to receive the 3 year work permit, the program of study has to be at least 2 years. Although, in case the program was less than 2 years but longer than 8 months, the graduate can still receive a work permit for the identical duration as the program of study. Suppose a student received a 1 year degree or diploma from an accredited educational institution within 2 years of having successfully completed a previous accredited Canadian post-secondary degree or diploma, the individual could qualify for a three-year OWP.

2. Even though a student needs to have been studying full time in the 8 months preceding the date of application for an OWP, an exception is created in the case where a student fulfills all the requirements besides full time study in the last session of their program. For instance, if a student only requires 2 courses in the final session to finish the program but all previous study has been full time, the student could still apply for the PGWP Program.