Temporary Work Visa

Open Work Permit

Positively, an OWP (Open Work Permit) authorizes a foreigner to work in the country in ANY job (without restrictions). The holder of an Open Work Permit does not require an LMIA or confirmation of employment first. Once issued an OWP, the individual can apply and work in any occupation/job in the country.

Foreigners that are qualified for an Open Work permit are listed bellow:

  • Spouse or common-law partner being sponsored for Permanent Residence via an Inland Spousal Application
  • Spouse or common-law partner of a Temporary Foreign Worker
  • Spouse or common-law partners of International Students studying in the country
  • International Students who graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution (recently) and are qualified for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program can apply for a Post-Graduation Open Work Permit
  • International Experience Canada (IEC) Candidates (Working Holiday)

Inland Sponsorship

While the application for permanent residence is being processed, spouses and common-law partners being sponsored via the Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship Category of the Family Class can be granted an open work permit. Thus, while waiting for permanent residence application to be processed, this permits the Spouse/Common-law partner to work in any job.

Spouse/Common-law of Temporary Foreign Worker

Note that the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign temporary worker need to show that:

First, the principal temporary foreign worker has employment in the country that is at a management level, or as a technical or skilled tradesperson, or a job in a professional occupation. According to the NOC (National Occupational Classification), the skill level of the principal temporary foreign worker’s job has to be level 0, A or B. This skill level requirement does not apply to principal temporary foreign workers who have been approved for permanent residence by a province – provincial nominees.

And second, the principal temporary foreign worker is allowed to work in the country for a period of 6 months (at least).

Spouse/Common-law partner of Foreign Student

In order to be qualified for an OWP (Open Work Permit), the spouse or common-law partner of a foreign student cannot themselves be full-time students and need to show that:

Either the foreign student is studying full-time at a diploma/degree-granting (publicly-funded post-secondary educational facility); or, the foreign student has graduated and has a valid work permit for a job associated to the individuals studies.

Equally important for spouses and common-law partners, OWP are usually issued with a validity date that coincides with the period of time that their spouse is allowed to work or study in the country (as the case may be).

International Graduates

In order to be qualified for an OWP (open work permit), international students who are graduating have to meet the requirements beneath the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.

International Experience Canada

OWP (Open work permits) are additionally available to candidates for the International Experience Canada (IEC) Candidates beneath the Working Holiday category.